[sane-devel] Epson Perfection 4490 gives "sane_start: Invalid argument"

Ille tam.ille at free.fr
Sat Jul 4 12:47:41 UTC 2009

Le Fri, 3 Jul 2009 13:21:03 -0400,
Bob Paddock <bob.paddock at gmail.com> a écrit :

> On Fri, Jul 3, 2009 at 12:13 PM, m. allan noah<kitno455 at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > 1. epson backend is deprecated. use epson2 instead. (epson should
> > have been disabled in dll.conf)
>
> > 2. neither epson nor epson2 support the 4490. It uses some unknown
> > protocol, and only the epkowa backend has support for this (via a
> > non-free binary-only interpreter)
>
> 'epson' was the only one that found the scanner, epson2, and now
> epkowa that I just in stalled, do not with with scanimage -L.

I also own a 4490 Photo.
I was running Gentoo 64bit on my workstation some times ago, but the
epkowa backend was not provided for 64bit arch (this is not the case
anymore, but I'm lazy, so I didn't change my config). The way I've
found to use the scanner with Gentoo 64 was connecting the 4490 to a 32
bit Gentoo server running saned+epkowa, and access it through the net
backend.
64 bit reinstall is planned for next September.

Regards,
Ille