[sane-devel] SANE frozen in amber ?

Julien BLACHE jb at jblache.org
Fri Jun 12 18:26:09 UTC 2009

"m. allan noah" <kitno455 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Seriously, we have to bump the major number on the soversion to do any
> changes. The only real question is what do we do with all the
> unmaintained backends?

We leave them behind for now, and we'll see later what to do about
them. In the meantime, maintainers can pop up for these backends.

As frontends will have to be modified anyway, it's always possible to
ship a frontend built for SANE and a frontend built for SANE 2 during
the transition period.

Also, if we rename the exported functions to sane2_*, there's no
reason frontends cannot be linked to both SANE and SANE 2. But there's
no point, really. Frontends will switch once SANE 2 reaches critical
mass.

JB.

--
Julien BLACHE                                   <http://www.jblache.org>