[sane-devel] the samsung scx-4200 works with the xerox mfp driver

Michael Whapples mwhapples at aim.com
Thu Jun 25 09:55:21 UTC 2009

This is good to hear, I suspected this might be the case some time ago
(possibly a month or so) when I tried the xerox backend with my samsung
CLX-3170fn. There may be some bugs for some devices, eg. when I first
tried my CLX-3170fn the xerox backend crashed the device when the last
page had passed through the ADF when using scanadf if you didn't inform
it of number of pages being that of the pages available or less. This
particular problem is corrected in git, but you never quite know what
other devices might do.

As for the official samsung drivers, you must be joking if you would
want to use them, they seem to be out of date by quite a bit with sane
and don't work with the current release.

It would be good to make it more widely known that the xerox backend of
sane supports samsung devices and should possibly be enabled for samsung
devices by default.

May be some time samsung will realise there are opensource alternatives
which work and so support that, rather than creating closed source linux
drivers which they must maintain to keep up to date (which they don't
seem to have done).

Also I will just say I am also talking as a user here.

Michael Whapples