[sane-devel] Can't find rules file

Tom Lynn tom at tomlynn.com
Tue Jun 30 13:41:55 UTC 2009

I'm in the process of configuring sane on centos5.3.  I'm able to scan from
the command line as root and want to extend this capability to my other user
accounts.  I've read the information in the README.linux file and put my
users into the scanner group.  This doesn't appear to be sufficient.  I'm
now looking for the rules file referenced in the README.linux file:

"SANE comes with a udev rules file in the tools/udev
directory which may be used by distributions or can be copied to
/etc/udev/rules.d manually. The file format is explained on top of the file
itself. Either you need libusb 0.1.12 or newer or
USB_DEVFS_PATH=/dev/bus/usb
must be exported as a system-wide environment variable."

The source files for sane -1.0.20 do not have a tools/udev directory.  I
have also downloaded the source files for sane-1.0.19 which does have the
driectory, however it is empty.

Thus I turn to others who may know more of what is going on.  Are these
instructions out of date, or is the data missing?  What are my options?

Tom