[sane-devel] build system issue installing config files

Chris Bagwell chris at cnpbagwell.com
Sun Mar 1 04:14:31 UTC 2009

On Sat, Feb 28, 2009 at 3:41 PM, Louis Lagendijk
<louis at lagendijk.xs4all.nl>wrote:

> hi
> In order to better keep track of what I installed, I am trying to build
> an RPM package for Sane on my Fedora 10 box.
> This fails as the config files do not get installed. This seems to be
> caused by the install-becfg target in backend/Makefile.am
>
> `/home/home1/louis/rpm/BUILD/sane-backends-1.1.0.cvs/backend'
> rm
> -f
> /home/home1/louis/rpm/BUILDROOT/sane-backends-1.1.0.cvs-12.fc10.x86_64/usr/lib64/sane/libsane.*
> test -z "/etc/sane.d" || /bin/mkdir -p "/etc/sane.d"
> test -z "/etc/sane.d/dll.d" || /bin/mkdir -p "/etc/sane.d/dll.d"
> NOT overwriting abaton.conf in /etc/sane.d...
> NOT overwriting agfafocus.conf in /etc/sane.d...
> NOT overwriting apple.conf in /etc/sane.d...
>

> I have no idea where to look for the cause. Or am I missing something
> obvious? In the makefile I see that the install-becfg is triggered by
> install-dat-hook, which in its turn is called by install-data-am which
> does  $(MAKE) $(AM_MAKEFLAGS) install-data-hook. So is DESTDIR missing
> from AM_MAKEFLAGS? I am afraid I do not know enough of autoconf to
> understand all logic involved. Suggestions?

Hmmm, I've not had time to work on Fedora's spec file but it will need some
changes to work with at least this automake change.  The recommended
practice is for the spec file to pass in the value of DESTDIR; its not
sane-backends that sets it.  If Fedora spec would have done that then we'd
have been OK.

In their spec file look for:

%{makeinstall} docdir=%{buildroot}/%{_docdir}/%{name}-%{version}

replace that with more recommend practice of:

make DESTDIR=%{buildroo} docdir=%{buildroot}/%{_docdir}/%{name}-%{version}
install

If that gives you problems, then try the following:

%{makeinstall} configdir=%{docdir=%{buildroot}/%{_docdir}/%{name}-%{version}
configdir=%{buildroot}/etc/sane.d

> As a side-note: RPM barfs when a package name has more than one dash in
> it. Would it be possible to change the package version in configure.in
> so it does not contain a dash, e.g. to 1.1.0cvs?

Yep, I run into the same issue.  I tend to modify configure.in though and
change version # to 1.0.99 (and remove the -cvs) so that if/when Fedora
upgrades their RPM's, my custom RPM will not look newer.

Not sure if others on list feel its OK to remove the dash from "-cvs" to
help RPM people out in general though?

Chris