[sane-devel] HP scanjet 4100C scans as root but normal user can't even find it.

Mélodie meets1901 at no-log.org
Sat Mar 7 16:44:22 UTC 2009

On Sat, 07 Mar 2009 14:43:11 +0100
Julien BLACHE <jb at jblache.org> wrote:

> tim_burch <tim_burch at sbcglobal.net> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> >> Did you make sure to have MODE="0666" in the related line in the udev
> >> rule applying to your scanner ?
>
> Add your user to the scanner group, instead.

Hi,

You didn't read his initial mail : that's what he did.

> From: tim_burch <tim_burch at sbcglobal.net>
> Date: Fri, 6 Mar 2009 09:51:13 -0800 (PST)
>
> I have added my user name to scanner in
> /etc/group
> which didn't make any difference. Not sure what to try next.

So next I thought he might want to have an udev rule for udev to be
able to plugin his scanner device at any time.

tim,

You might have forgotten to install some package, haven't you ? You should
have a file related to scanner at the mentioned place.

Did you install all the sane family ? Otherwise you could make an udev
rule based on a model.

When you do "scanimage -L" in your console, does it give you the
information about identifier and vendor model ?

If needed I could put my udev rules file on the web later on. Now I'm not
on the machine that's configured for it.

If you want to get the idea, I posted to give my sane-rules configuration
on this post:
«Subject: [sane-devel] Scanner for Brother 3 in one DCP-330C printer device
Date: Wed, 4 Mar 2009 21:55:03 +0100»

(If you happen to create your own file, you should take knowledge about
the availaible udev rules file numbers, at udev documentation, because some
early numbers are reserved for some priority tasks, while other later
numbers can be used for any new home made rule).

Mélodie