[sane-devel] xsane and scanimage crashes

J.S bluedbs at gmail.com
Sat Mar 14 19:47:58 UTC 2009

J.S wrote:
>> Please ignore my recent post I made about "[sane-devel] xsane and scanimage crashes" which you can find here:
>> 	http://lists.alioth.debian.org/pipermail/sane-devel/2009-March/024182.html
>>
>> The whole message didn't go through I don't know why, so I figure I make another new one adding more info
>> to it. You can find the whole message here at pastebin:
>> 	http://pastebin.com/f6149238
>>
> Ok I managed to fix it. All I did was uncomment the following lines in the avision.conf file located at
> /etc/sand.d/
>
> #option disable-gamma-table
> #option disable-calibration
> #option force-a4
>
> Then I used xscanimage and it was able to scan, preview, and save my image with no problems. But when
> using xscan, it freezes and takes a lot of time to load up the program--I mentioned that in my earlier
> post. When it freezes, I kill the process then I try to use scanimage -L to detect my scanner, but it
> fails to detect it thus causing me to disconnect and connect my scanner adapter then by using scanimage
> -L it would detect the scanner.
>
> When I do use xscanimage to scan my images, it succeeds and even if I kill the process, by using
> scanimage -L it still detects my scanner no matter what. But when using xscan, it freezes, fails to
> detect my device, and if I kill the process and check with scanimage -L, it fails to detect my scanner.
> If you read my earlier post, I posted a small gdb error output regarding xscan in the first paragraph.
> It's not much but that's all I can bring up.

I know this is a lot to read for devs, maintainers, and users that use the avision backend but please
bare with me on this. If you want my not so long message description you can find it at the following
pastebin link because the whole message can't go through the mailing list. Anyway it gives a detailed
explanation of why "xsane and xscanimage crashes" on my system running slackware 12.2 and HP Scanjet
5300C. You can find my whole message here:
	http://pastebin.com/fe1fa85

I've been suggested by m. allan noah that I try out an older version of sane or the current cvs version.
I'll definitely give those a try later sometime and I'll post some feedback.

Thanks for your time...