[sane-devel] Sane on a smartphone?

jmcgill85258 at yahoo.com jmcgill85258 at yahoo.com
Fri May 15 00:26:28 UTC 2009

Dear list:
I was reading about an ultrasound probe that can be attached to an iphone and it got me thinking. Could Sane be compiled to run on a smartphone? A mobile professional could then hook up a small usb powered scanner to scan in receipts.

I was thinking that a linux powered cell phone like the Android G1 or the Palm Pre might be the easiest to do, but the iphone and blackberries have a bigger market.

One would have to McIver a customized usb cable. The sane package would have to be compiled along with its dependencies. Eventually, a GUI frontend would need to be built.

Could this be done? Would anyone be impressed if it were?

I have a couple of extra Ambir TravelScan 662's that I could contribute, if someone is interested. (I am not a coder).

Jack McGill