[sane-devel] Are options consistent across all backends?

Mark Pemburn mark at pemburn.com
Thu May 21 17:24:59 UTC 2009

Hi All,

    The marvels of the SANE standard are starting to become clearer to
me and I'm making good progress in getting and setting the various
device options in my OS X interface project.  However, since I have only
the one Canon N670U scanner to play with (at the moment, anyhow -- I'm
borrowing a Fujitsu fi5110c from a client), I have no way to compare how
options are treated from one device to another.  Should I be able to
assume that say, the "resolution" option will _always_ have a constraint
type of SANE_CONSTRAINT_RANGE with a "min", "max" and a "quant" showing
the steps between or that "mode" will consistently provide a string list
of supported modes?  If not, are there any guidelines that would help
the interface programmer work around such things?

Thanks,

Mark