[sane-devel] ICC support for SANE

Kai-Uwe Behrmann ku.b at gmx.de
Thu May 28 08:33:25 UTC 2009

Date: Wed, 27 May 2009 23:44:08 +0200
From: Julien BLACHE <jb at jblache.org>

> Yiannis Belias <jonnyb at hol.gr> wrote:
>>   So, I gatherd all information, updated the previous blog posts accordingly and
>> added another one with two proposals of the needed API changes. Plan B
>> seems maybe more interesting as work can start right now and API changes can
>> get integrated later.
>
> I am not sure at all why you want to integrate this stuff into SANE at
> the backend level.
>
> I'm pretty sure the frontend knows all there is to know about the
> scanner and its settings to retrieve the corresponding ICC profile.

We possibly where holding our breath for something appearing like
arbitrary per backend settings ;-) It helps to know that backend settings
are well known and their relevance to colour can be understood on the
application level.
The part of identification of devices/drivers and their settings seems
be possible on top of Sane. Thanks for your confirming above.

> Just as in your DigiKam example, where gphoto2 is not involved
> whatsoever with the ICC stuff.

Well, gphoto2 appears as a local transportation layer without any colour
influence. We just learned that. Sane influences the colour and
transports remotely. So, there are more variables to consider.

I understand Yiannis as he meant to show his DigiKam graphic as a typical
colour management interaction example. But he did not mention there the
informations inside the RAW image. There is as well no network in this
graphics. All colour processing is done in DigiKam. So, DigiKam
maps not 1:1 to Sane. But still a application programmer will enface a
similiar situation for implementing colour management.
Gphoto and libraw would need to appear as one endity in order to map
better to the Sane situation.

> Did I miss something?

Yiannis, suggests to handle transportation of ICC profiles over the
network at a later stage. This approach will be less sprinkling than to
work on each backend individualy.

kind regards
Kai-Uwe Behrmann
--