[sane-devel] ICC support for SANE

Olaf Meeuwissen olaf.meeuwissen at avasys.jp
Thu May 28 23:57:06 UTC 2009

Julien BLACHE <jb at jblache.org> writes:

> [snip]
> There is no standard for scanner settings. Each model has different
> settings available, with the most common settings somewhat
> standardised and dubbed "well-known options" in SANE. That's all
> you've got to work with.

And for all the non-well-known options the frontend is at a complete
loss as to what purpose these options serve.  Yes, a SANE frontend can
provide the user access to any option any backend may provide (which is
a Good Thing!) but there is no way that frontend can add any meaningful
logic to it.

See also the thread on figuring out whether or not the ADF is selected.
The frontend simply can't.

> I don't think we have backends messing around with colours directly,
> except:

The (external) epkowa backend applies a colour correction profile to the
raw scan data.  This happens unconditionally (at least for now).
The epson2 maintainer is thinking of doing the same.

> [snip]
> And more importantly, but I'm not sure we have a case of that:
>  - machines that send data with samples > 8 bits

The epson, epson2 and epkowa backends can do 16 bit sample scans.
Moreover, the SANE spec explicitly says that 16 is a valid bit depth.

> [snip]
> I don't know all the backends and what they do, so hopefully backend
> maintainers will comment about their backend if needed :)

Hope this helps,
--
Olaf Meeuwissen, LPIC-2           FLOSS Engineer -- AVASYS Corporation
                 http://www.fsf.org/jf?referrer=1962