[sane-devel] drum scanners or high-end flatbeds: any hope?

David Heinrich dh003i at gmail.com
Fri Nov 6 19:18:50 UTC 2009

I'm interested in scanning 4x5 transparency film, and would like to have
something a little better than the Epson V750 (which gets a real optical
resolution of 3200 at best, but more likely around 2200 - 2400, despite
stating more than 6000 dpi). Hence, I'm interested in entry-level
drum-scanners, like the Howtek 4500, or high-end flatbed scanners, like the
Creo Eversmart series or Creo iQsmart series. Has anyone done anything on
this? As far as I can tell, there isn't support for any drum scanners,
dedicated film scanners, or high-end scanners at all on Linux? (the best
scanners I see supported, like the Epson V750, are at best high-end consumer
scanners, not suitable for enlargements beyond 3-4x).