[sane-devel] drum scanners or high-end flatbeds: any hope?

m. allan noah kitno455 at gmail.com
Sat Nov 7 01:28:58 UTC 2009

On Fri, Nov 6, 2009 at 6:38 PM, David Heinrich <dh003i at gmail.com> wrote:
> Ok, thanks to the suggestion by Allan, I'm e-mailing with this
> suggestion...I may be able to eventually buy one of these high-end flat-beds
> or drum-scanners (that is, high-end compared to the Epson V750, not high-end
> as in the $80k Aztek Premier) and have it shipped to a developer.
>
> Developers, what are you suggestions for what may be a good thing to look
> for? The Howtek 4500 drum seems to be commonly available, along with the
> Creo Eversmart flatbed series (I think Creo is now owned by Kodak). However,
> even the brand name of these companies is not mentioned on the sane-project
> website. Of the high-end flatbed or drum scanners listed on the Large Format
> scanner comparison page, only the Microtek brand are mentioned on the sane
> page (and not any of the scanners relevant to me scanning in 4x5 inch and
> 8x10 inch film). Someone on LF forum suggested, however, that it might be
> easier to adapt a driver for a low-end scanner of the same brand to a
> high-end flatbed or drum (by high-end, I mean pro scanners with real
> resolutions of 2500 dpi or higher, not marketing hype of 6400 dpi).
>
> So, any suggestions?

Required:
1. It should use some standard port (i.e. SCSI).
2. It should have a complete copy of the windows software and any
dongles required to run it.

Extremely helpful:
1. protocol documents from the maker.
2. other user documents
3. any calibration targets

I doubt this class of machines will really share any brains with their
cheaper brothers, so don't worry about sticking with a particular
brand. The SCSI protocol is more likely to enforce consistency than
the name plate.

allan