[sane-devel] 6400 dpi on Epson V700?

David Heinrich dh003i at gmail.com
Sat Nov 14 18:37:59 UTC 2009

I'm using xsane and iscan ("Image Scan") to interface with my Epson V700
scanner, and they don't show options for scanning beyond 3200 dpi. The V700
has a maximum optical resolution of 6400 x 9600 dpi. From the specifications
at http://snipurl.com/v700-specs here is what's actually listed, verbatim:

Hardware Resolution
* 4800 x 9600 dpi, 6400 x 9600 dpi with Micro Step Drive technology

I've scanned using the proprietary VueScan demo at 6400 dpi, the scanner
definitely is capable of 6400 dpi. (Although in terms of "real resolving
power" it's at most half of that from what people on the LargeFormat.info
forums say, it just takes 6400 samples; it doesn't get the same kind of
resolution as a drum-scanner.)

But in any event, with xsane and iscan, I can't scan in at more than 3200
dpi. Any workarounds? Might this be because the V700 support is listed as
"Good", not "Complete" on sane-project.org/sane-mfgs.html ?

In any event, since I have this scanner, is there anything I can do to help
developers?