[sane-devel] As instructed by /etc/udev/rules.d/libsane.rules

Johannes Meixner jsmeix at suse.de
Tue Nov 17 14:42:16 UTC 2009

Hello,

On Nov 17 12:42 Julien BLACHE wrote (shortened):
> Johannes Meixner <jsmeix at suse.de> wrote:
>
>> What the heck has udev libsane.rules to do
>> with a particular kernel minor version number?
>
> That was a change in the USB layer in the kernel that needed a
> new/modified udev rule to create the device nodes.

Perhaps you misunderstood me.
I meant it as an example to show which awkward workarounds are needed
to make this thingy hopefully work for a litte bit of time (until the

> Now remember that the same people that brought you that unstable,
> ever-changing, ever-breaking USB stack are the same people who started
> and led udev for a while. Oh, and that little thing called
> "stable-api-nonsense.txt", too.

NoNo!
This cannot be never ever true.
Of course as he writes totally clearly in "stable-api-nonsense.txt"
there must be a syscall interface for USB which "is _very_ stable
over time, and will not break" - otherwise the kernel simply has
no userspace USB support because "the kernel to userspace interface
is the one that application programs use, the syscall interface".

Kind Regards
Johannes Meixner
AG Nuernberg, HRB 16746, GF: Markus Rex