[sane-devel] [Regression] libsane-extras doesn't work any more with EPSON PM-A820

Olaf Meeuwissen olaf.meeuwissen at avasys.jp
Mon Apr 26 23:28:30 UTC 2010

Julien BLACHE wrote:
> Yann Ubuntu <yannubuntu at gmail.com> wrote:
>> @Julien: is epkowa a driver ? has it been removed because of its
>> licence ? (non-free?)
>
> It's free, but it depends on non-free, binary-only plugins.  [...]

The epkowa backend works fine without the non-free, binary-only plugins
for a large number of devices.  Selected models are only supported with
the aid of a non-free, binary-only plugin.  When this is the case, that
is mentioned in the notes on the supported devices.

# That is to say, certain _devices_ depend on the non-free, binary-only
# plugins.  The epkowa _backend_ does not.

>> The drivers available on Avasys website are all epkowa type? (On the
>> "All-in-one" page of the Avasys website there is no PM-A820 driver. )

The PM-A820 is a model for the Japanese market.  Check the Japanese
download page[1].  FWIW, this model does not depend on a non-free,
binary-only plugin.

 [1] http://www.avasys.jp/lx-bin2/linux/spc/DL1.do

> Yes, epkowa is Epson's backend for all their models. If your model is
> not listed, then it's not supported AFAICT.

We do try to keep the list of supported models up-to-date on the SANE
project pages.  Our list[2] is probably the most complete, one-stop
location for information on all the devices supported by the epkowa backend.

 [2]
http://sane.alioth.debian.org/lists/sane-backends-external.html#S-EPKOWA

Hope this helps,
                 http://www.fsf.org/jf?referrer=1962