[sane-devel] API addition request

Kai-Uwe Behrmann ku.b at gmx.de
Thu Aug 19 19:49:27 UTC 2010

Hello,

Am 19.08.10, 18:22 +0200 schrieb Julien BLACHE:
> Kai-Uwe Behrmann <ku.b at gmx.de> wrote:
> SANE 1 has always been frozen, and an attempt at thawing it a bit to
> extend the API/ABI in a backward-compatible way has failed
> spectacularly.

Now, I see my subject line was misleading.

The SANE_CAP_COLOUR is merely a flag. So I would suggest a API/ABI
checker can not detect that. All the patch needs in the headers is:

+++ include/sane/sane.h
  #define SANE_CAP_ADVANCED              (1 << 6)
+#define SANE_CAP_COLOUR                (1 << 7)

The remainder is in the backends.

> So unless we want to restart that effort, I don't see how your patch can
> get merged in SANE 1.

I shurely would not want that.

> Not that I don't want it, note.

Thanks for considering.