[sane-devel] maximum image size for a scan for Canon pixma backend

Gernot Hassenpflug aikishugyo at gmail.com
Fri Dec 31 05:11:40 UTC 2010

On Fri, Dec 31, 2010 at 8:11 AM, Gernot Hassenpflug
<aikishugyo at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 31, 2010 at 8:05 AM, Nicolas Martin
> <nicolas0martin at gmail.com> wrote:

>>> Ah! I suspected it was that, but forgot I had to take the difference
>>> to get this number. Fantastic! Well, that sounds like somewhat of a
>>> issue then for the SANE Canon maintainer to comment on. I guess this
>>> issue had to come up eventually.
>>
>> Should be possible to extend the image size in pixma backend by
>> declaring uint64_t instead of unsigned the following variables:
>>
>> image_byte_read (in pixma.c),
>> image_size (in pixma.h)
>> cur_image_size (in pixma_common.h)
>>
>> Debug statements should also to be adjusted, %llu instead of %u in the
>> different format strings, although this gives a compilation warning
>> anyway, as the gcc compile statement uses the -pedantic flag.
>>
>> Unless someone has a better solution for sprintf 64 bits integers ?
>>
>> Anyway, could you give a try on 9000F with those changes ?
>
> Hi Nicolas,
> Thanks, I'll implement that and send away for testing (I do not have
> the scanner myself), and report back.

Dear all,

It seems that fix has not broken anything yet (stil awaiting results
from testers on how large images go). However, I have a report from a
tester that might be of interest:

"I also replaced a memcpy() by a memmove() because the areas are
overlapping. The spec says that memcpy should not be used for
overlapping regions, and in recent glibc versions code relying on this
behaviour doesn't work any more. (Valgrind reported this.)"

This is the line near the end of  the post_process_image_data funtion
in pixma_mp150.c:

	  /* Crop line to selected borders */
	  memmove(cptr, sptr + cx, cw);

I have this in my code now, and it seems not to break my scans with
MP460, MP960, MP810, CS8800F. Nicolas, do you have a comment on this?

Best regards,
Gernot