[sane-devel] why hasn't there been a release in a long time ?

Julien BLACHE jb at jblache.org
Mon Feb 8 16:54:52 UTC 2010

"m. allan noah" <kitno455 at gmail.com> wrote:

Hi,

> I personally will take the great measure of responsibility for this
> problem. My time has become very limited since I took over the job of
> making releases. I have also allowed the confusion around a new API
> prevent us from moving forward with maintenance releases, even though
> that is an unrelated issue.

It's not all on you, Allan, far from it. The greater issue is that a
number of backend maintainers have just dropped the ball and most of
those left pretty much only care about their backend, which is already
very nice of them (I mean it - not any kind of snarky remark
here). The current active backend maintainers are doing a great job with
their backends, but that's not enough.

And for anyone who'd want to care about SANE in a global manner, the
number of backends is really a problem. Too many backends, too many old,
obsolete, crappy backends nobody cares about that all need to be
included in whatever SANE-wide effort one would want to start.

> If someone else wants to step up and schedule/make the release, I'd be
> happy for the help. Otherwise, let me look at a calendar, and come up
> with a plan. Thanks for the kick in the pants :)

There are quite a number of people I'd like to kick where it hurts, but
you're certainly not on that list; #1 on that list is a certain backend
maintainer who left us with a totally broken backend and no proper VCS
history to pinpoint the breakage.

JB.

--
Julien BLACHE                                   <http://www.jblache.org>