[sane-devel] why hasn't there been a release in a long time ?

Julien BLACHE jb at jblache.org
Mon Feb 8 17:43:10 UTC 2010

"m. allan noah" <kitno455 at gmail.com> wrote:

Hi,

> Thanks for the vote of confidence, but your comments prove that my
> second point is correct. We have allowed ourselves to stall releases
> of updated code, because we keep talking about our hopes for the

We knew that could be a problem, but it only became an issue because
other things failed.

> Also, while I do agree with you on the 'performance' of some
> maintainers, this IS a volunteer effort, and people change. We need to

Sure, but then there's the manner. Doing a last drop of buggy code and
then leaving isn't exactly the best way to part ways with a project
you've contributed to.

> move on, and find new maintainers if possible.

Yup. We should now deprecate any backend that doesn't have a maintainer
today. Only way to get the message accross at that point.

Move the backends to another directory, add an option to make it
possible to build those backends, but disable them by default.

JB.

--
Julien BLACHE                                   <http://www.jblache.org>
<jb at jblache.org>                                  GPG KeyID 0xF5D65169