[sane-devel] Canon 8800F IC information

Gernot Hassenpflug aikishugyo at gmail.com
Fri Feb 12 09:32:52 UTC 2010

Dear all,

Milan Toman & I opened up our Canon 8800F scanners a few weeks ago and
tried to find information on the devices contained therein. I will put
up pictures on my home server on the weekend and post the URL in this
thread.

The upshot is there are 4 chips that look interesting. There are a
PROM and an SDRAM chip, an ASIC and a further chip near the stepper
motor outputs, descriptions below. The ASIC and SDRAM were identical,
the PROM different (but same specs), and as for the 4th chip, Milan
did not get a good look at it yet so we have just the one data point
from my scanner.

1) The SDRAM chip is a Hynix 7V641620ETP-H (27 pins either side: total 54):
Note 1: 64Mb Synchronous DRAM based on 1M x 4Bank x16 I/O
Note 2: datasheet available (URL to be posted)

Inscriptions on chip:

Hynix 644A  C
HY57V641620ETP-H
KOR   NCDK29066

2) The PROM chip is either an OKI WR27V1652L (Milan's) or a Spansion
S29GL016A90TFIR2 (mine) (24 pins either side: total 48):
Note 1: 1M–Word × 16–Bit or 2M–Word × 8–Bit Page Mode P2ROM
Note 2: datasheet available (URL to be posted)

Inscriptions on Milan's chip:

QKI-3562-01 (<- this appears to be a Canon assembly part number)
1.010
WR27V1652L
062TNZ03
7465BC7J

Inscription on my chip:

Spansion
S29GL016A90TFIR2
733FF616  M
©04 SPANSION

There was a paper stuck on my chip with the following:
QK1-3553-01 (<- probably a Canon assembly part number)

Webpage with PDF to full datasheet below. Note the product is obsolete
as of April
2008 and different near-replacement items are available from Spansion.
http://www.spansion.com/Products/Pages/ProductDetails.aspx?ProdID=S29GL016A

Extracts from datasheet:
16 Mb (boot sector models): 31 31Kword (64 KB) sectors + 8 4Kword (8
KB) boot sectors.
16-Mb device organized as 1,048,576 words or 2,097,152 bytes.
Depending on the model number, the devices have an 8-bit wide data bus
only, 16-bit wide data bus only, or a 16-bit wide data bus that can
also function as an 8-bit wide data bus by using the BYTE# input.

3) The ASIC is an NEC chip, the UPD808025F1-611-MNF-A, with "U"
meaning micro and often written with a micro sign. Looking at the NEC
electric site did not turn up any device labelled 808025 for me, but
the UPB80xxxx is an ASIC available in FBGA package (so actually there
are 26x26=676 pins, of which not all are necessarily used). The ASIC
product pages turn up something called the CB-90M with a UPD80000 part
number and fewer pins....
Note: appears to be sold online but no datasheet could I find.

Inscription on Milan's chip:

JAPAN
808025-611-A
QK1-3675 (<-probably Canon assembly part number)
 0744LU238

Inscription on my chip:

JAPAN
808025-611-A
QK1-3675 (<-probably Canon assembly part number)
0733LU204

4) the Toshiba chip near the stepper motor connection (16 pins each
edge: total 64):
Note: appears to be sold online but no datasheet could I find.

Inscription on my chip:

Toshiba
237FG
7UPUP99
M'SIA

If anyone can shed light on the unknown chips here, we would be most
grateful. I was very surprised not to find a known scanner control
chip inside, and it looks as though the NEC ASIC is a generic chip
with CPU, memory, etc., rather than a dedicated scanner control chip.
However, it could well be, only we could not find out anything about
it yet: it appears to be sold online but none of the places we looked
had data sheets.

Best regards,
Gernot Hassenpflug & Milan Toman