[sane-devel] Xerox Travel Scanner 100 could not be detected

Jack McGill jmcgill85258 at yahoo.com
Sat Jan 9 16:19:05 UTC 2010

--- On Fri, 1/8/10, Andrey Loginov <avloginov at gmail.com> wrote:

> I am trying to make Xerox Travel Scanner 100 portable
> scanner under
> Ubunto 9.10(karmic).
> When I use sane-find-scanner -v -v, it shows:
>
> <device descriptor of 0x04a7/0x04ac at 001:003 (Xerox
> Travel Scanner
> 100)>
.

That scanner is probably a clone of the Visioneer RoadWarrior, which is supported.

If you are up to the challenge, support could probably added.

1. You will need to download the latest source code.
2. Add a few lines of code.
3. Recompile the source code.

This article explains how to download and install from source: http://mp610.blogspot.com/2008/04/give-your-scanner-new-freshly-sane.html

So as a quick summary:
1. $sudo apt-get install git
2. $sudo apt-get install libsane-dev  (the article says libusb-dev, but I think that is wrong).
3. $cd ~
4. $git clone git://git.debian.org/sane/sane-backends.git
5. $gksu gedit ~/sane-backends/backends/genesys.conf.in
6. Change the usb product id of the Roadwarrior from 0x0494 to 0x04ac
7. Save and exit
8. $gksu gedit ~/sane-backends/backends/genesys_devices.c
9. At the very bottom section change the usb product id of the roadwarrior from 0x0494 to 0x04ac
10. Save and exit.
11. $ ./configure --prefix=/usr --sysconfdir=/etc --localstatedir=/var
12. $make
13. sudo make install
14. $sane-find-scanner
15. $sudo scanimage -L
16. $scanimage -L
17. $scanimage -T
18. Open xsane and try to scan something
19. Report back to us on how it works.
20. If it doesn't recognize the scanner open /etc/sane.d/genesys.conf and see if your change made it to this file. If not, edit the roadwarrior usb pid here too.

If everything works with this dirty hack, then Stef or Pierre can do a more formal update to the backend.

Good luck.
Jack McGill