[sane-devel] scanner photography/ howto adapt sane

fonsspons verdoeme at gmail.com
Mon Jan 18 16:15:20 UTC 2010

Hi,
my name is jo, i live in Belgium, and I'm a photographer.
 I attached a canoscan lide 30 to my cambo technical camera.  Pictures of
and by this project can be seen here:
http://picasaweb.google.be/dierickxjo/ScannerProject# .

I have two problems;
1. the ccd seems very sensitive to infrared, does anybody knows which
spectrum of the IR should be blocked out, since there seems to be a
difference in the spectra of available IR cutoff filters.

2. I was thinking of writing extra routines to sane, so i was able to gain
more control over the scanning process. Since this scanner is used as a
"camera" i was wondering what need to be fiddled with to make some input
parameters to obtain some sort of exposure control.

I know the scanner measures a black and a white spot and then does some
calculations and set its "aperture" and its speed.
I think speed defins the resolution of a camera.
The white and block spot measurement i think is something like "gain"?!
So in a way i need to say to the scanner okay measure your black spot
(altough it will be always the same blackest of black since there is no
light (NONE) inside the camera. And then when I open the camera i could hold
a white paper in the actual light and then say to the scanner, measure your
white spot.

Point is i've done some programming in the past, and i tried to read some of
sane, but it's to much for me to find where and what i need to adapt.

Can anyone point me in the right direction? I guess it's the back and the
front end I should adapt.

I think i can write some code in c.
Something like when the scanner tries to measure the black spot :
pause now and display the value,
set this value to ...
Go to the white spot and pause,
measure the white spot pause and display the value
measure again or continue

I think i can do that, but can anyone point in the right direction?

Thank you,
Jo Dierickx