[sane-devel] Has anyone managed to get Snapscan backend working with FreeBSD 8.0 (which uses libusb)?

Chris Bagwell chris at cnpbagwell.com
Tue Jan 26 14:33:27 UTC 2010

On Tue, Jan 26, 2010 at 3:04 AM, Oliver Schwartz <Oliver.Schwartz at gmx.de>wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> On 25.01.2010, at 12:26, Torfinn Ingolfsen wrote:
>
>  In the meantime, another FreeBSD user found a way to fix it, it is just a
>> one-line patch:
>> http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-usb/2010-January/008172.html
>>
>> With Andrew's patch, my scanner now works:
>>  root at kg-v2# sane-find-scanner -q
>> found USB scanner (vendor=0x03f0 [HP], product=0xc202 [Photosmart 8200
>> series]) at libusb:/dev/usb:/dev/ugen1.2
>> found USB scanner (vendor=0x06bd [AGFA], product=0x2061 [
>> Snapscan1212u_2]) at libusb:/dev/usb:/dev/ugen2.2
>> root at kg-v2# scanimage -L
>> device `snapscan:libusb:/dev/usb:/dev/ugen2.2' is a AGFA SNAPSCAN 1212U_2
>> flatbed scanner
>>

> Thanks for the pointer, I'll try to get this fixed in the backend. The code
> in question was added recently to fix another problem with calculating a
> unique identifier.
>
> Maybe one of the guys who's experienced with autoconf can give me a hint on
> how to do this the best way. Should I just use "#ifdef BSD" around the code
> in question or is there some autoconf magic that would allow me to do a more
> advanced query?
>
> I also have to retest this on OS X - the code in question looks very Linux
> specific.
>
> Kind regards,
>
> Oliver

I don't think there is any autoconf stuff that can help you... or perhaps
what you need is already there.   A quick look at sanei_usb_init() and I
think its the one generate 2 types of strings depending on if your using
libusb 1.0 or not.

So at least you should be able to reference HAVE_LIBUSB_1.0 but maybe better
to update sanei_usb_init() code to always generate a consistent string?

Chris