[sane-devel] Canon ImageCLASS MF4350d, Ubuntu 8.04, scanner not found

Dominik Wnek dominalien at netscape.net
Sat Jan 30 08:38:21 UTC 2010

W dniu 10-01-30 09:17, Michael DeBusk pisze:
> I bought a Canon ImageCLASS MF4350d yesterday after learning that the
> manufacturer has a Linux driver for it. I didn't realize it was only a
> PRINTER driver, and that they ignored the scanner.
>
> On my installation of Ubuntu 8.04:
>
> "xsane" returns "no devices available."
>
> "sane-find-scanner" returns:
> found USB scanner (vendor=0x04a9 [Canon Inc.], product=0x26ee
> [MF4320-4350]) at libusb:005:004
>
> "scanimage -L" returns:
> No scanners were identified.
>
> "scanimage --version" returns:
> scanimage (sane-backends) 1.0.19; backend version 1.0.19
>
> A check of sane-backends-1.0.20 shows no support for my scanner. It
> appears that sane-backends-1.0.21cvs supports the MF4380dn and the
> MF4370dn, both of which share a manual with my MF4350d. Is it possible
> that the development version supports my scanner without "realizing" it?
>
> Is there something I can do to assist the developers in adding support
> for my scanner? I'm not a programmer, but I follow directions well.
>
> Thank you.

I can't say whether it's supported "quietly" or not, but the easiest
thing you can do is get a daily git snapshot of sane-backends, compile
and install it and see if the scanner works. Since you're still on
Ubuntu 8.04 I'm guessing it's a critical installation and you don't want
to mess with the system too much, in which case instead of doing "sudo
make install" you can do "sudo checkinstall -D" which will create and
install a .deb package for you (which you can uninstall later, leaving
your system intact). You need to have checkinstall installed, of course :-)