[sane-devel] Scanjet G2410 Scanner tested. Here's some results.

Rudy Matela rudy at matela.com.br
Sun Jul 4 02:18:06 UTC 2010

NOTE: Please keep me cc'ed, I'm not in the sane development list.

Hi,

  Today I bought a Scanjet G2410 Scanner. While scanimage'ing I
received the following message:

$ scanimage | pnmtopng > file.png
[genesys] WARNING: Your scanner is not fully supported or at least
[genesys]          had only limited testing. Please be careful and
[genesys]          report any failure/success to
[genesys]          sane-devel at lists.alioth.debian.org. Please provide as many
[genesys]          details as possible, e.g. the exact name of your
[genesys]          scanner and what does (not) work.

  So, I'm doing what scanimage told me to do...

  Fortunately, scanimage worked and I managed to scan a monochromatic
image file with a very large resolution (dpi). So the driver worked
for that. But there are lots of things I cannot do:

With this, I get a blurred image, with the colors kinda separated:
kinda like when you print in a poorly calibrated inkjet printer:
$ scanimage --mode Color

With this I get the following message and nothing is scanned:
$ scanimage -vvv --resolution 150
scanimage: value for --resolution is: 150
scanimage: sane_start: Invalid argument
Closing device
Calling sane_exit
scanimage: finished

$ lsusb
Bus 003 Device 002: ID 03f0:0a01 Hewlett-Packard ScanJet 2400c

It says I have a 2400c, but mine is G2410. :D

I did not test, but I saw on some links that a proprietary driver for
the 2400 works with this scanner also:
http://old.nabble.com/to-configure-HP-ScanJet-2400-also-applies-to-the-HP-G2410-td21353706.html
I don't know if the result would be just the same (no dpi adjusting
and no color scanning), but it could still be of help to someone
working on it.

Some info about my system:
Arch Linux
Linux oblivion 2.6.34-ARCH #1 SMP PREEMPT Sat Jun 19 13:06:16 CEST
2010 i686 Intel(R) Pentium(R) D CPU 3.00GHz GenuineIntel GNU/Linux
sane 1.0.21

The status of scanner G2410 is untested, you can change that to Minimal/Basic
http://www.sane-project.org/sane-mfgs.html#Z-HEWLETT-PACKARD

If you want any other info feel free to contact me.

  Regards,
  Rudy Matela

PS: The scanner is fully functional on Windows (strangely the scanner
light is always on, even there..., better keep it off to save energy!)