[sane-devel] Canon PIXMA MX870

Louis Lagendijk louis at lagendijk.xs4all.nl
Sat Jul 17 10:12:36 UTC 2010

my apologies for getting ibn late: I just got back from a holiday....

On Sat, 2010-07-17 at 09:46 +0200, Nicolas Martin wrote:

> > http://files.pannek.de/sane/scanimage.zip
>
> This look satisfactory at first glance, the Pixma dialog is confirmed to
> be a generation 4 format here.
>

> > pannek at veerle ~ $ scanimage -L
> > device `pixma:MX870_canon.saberhage' is a CANON Canon PIXMA MX870
> > multi-function peripheral
> >
> > pannek at veerle ~ $ scanimage -T
> > scanimage: scanning image of size 638x877 pixels at 24 bits/pixel
> > scanimage: acquiring RGB frame, 8 bits/sample
> > scanimage: reading one scanline, 1914 bytes...  PASS
> > scanimage: reading one byte...          PASS
> > scanimage: stepped read, 2 bytes...     PASS
> > scanimage: stepped read, 4 bytes...     PASS
> > scanimage: stepped read, 8 bytes...     PASS
> > scanimage: stepped read, 16 bytes...    PASS
> > scanimage: stepped read, 32 bytes...    PASS
> > scanimage: stepped read, 64 bytes...    PASS
> > scanimage: stepped read, 128 bytes...   PASS
> > scanimage: stepped read, 256 bytes...   PASS
> > scanimage: stepped read, 512 bytes...   PASS
> > scanimage: stepped read, 1024 bytes...  PASS
> > scanimage: stepped read, 2048 bytes...  PASS
> > scanimage: stepped read, 2047 bytes...  PASS
> > scanimage: stepped read, 1023 bytes...  PASS
> > scanimage: stepped read, 511 bytes...   PASS
> > scanimage: stepped read, 255 bytes...   PASS
> > scanimage: stepped read, 127 bytes...   PASS
> > scanimage: stepped read, 63 bytes...    PASS
> > scanimage: stepped read, 31 bytes...    PASS
> > scanimage: stepped read, 15 bytes...    PASS
> > scanimage: stepped read, 7 bytes...     PASS
> > scanimage: stepped read, 3 bytes...     PASS
> >
> > Played a little bit with skanlite and it worked nice, but after a
> > successful 1200 DPI scan  I restarted the client and now I only see a
> > "No device found" message : (
> >
> > pannek at veerle ~ $ scanimage -L
> >
> > No scanners were identified. If you were expecting something different,
> > check that the scanner is plugged in, turned on and detected by the
> > sane-find-scanner tool (if appropriate). Please read the documentation
> > which came with this software (README, FAQ, manpages).
This looks like a case where the scanner messed up internally. What
happens when you take it of the power for 30 seconds or so and
reconnect?

> So could you try to get the same log file with scanimage -T , there may
> be something in there showing where the bjnp dialog blocks. Could you
> double check also if it's not a firewall issue for the 4 bjnp ports ?

Looking at the traces, BJNP works as expected, so I do not believe that
the firewall may be blocking. A detailed trace withv ONLY pixma logging
would be nice though. Sanei and usb logging make only for more noise and
are irrelevant as you are using BJNP anyhow, so only:
export SANE_DEBUG_PIXMA=11
before the actual scanning

Louis