[sane-devel] Kodak digital science 2500d

Clemens Pietsch clemens.pietsch at inode.at
Sun Jul 18 14:07:01 UTC 2010

Hi, list!

I got an Kodak scanner digital science 2500d with an KOFAX scsi controller
crad. This card seems to be not working and so I'm using a adaptec AHA-2940
controller card. My operating system is OpenSUSE 11.2; I'm not a LINUX expert
:-(

While booting the pc, the scanner is listed.

In opensuse I did the following shell commands:

result of "lsscsi":

[0:0:0:0]    disk    ATA      SAMSUNG SP1654N  BV10  /dev/sda
[0:0:1:0]    cd/dvd  HL-DT-ST DVD-RAM GH22NP20 1.04  /dev/sr0
[2:0:0:0]    disk    ATA      SAMSUNG HD642JJ  1AA0  /dev/sdb
[4:0:6:0]    scanner KODAK    DS Scanner 2500  1.52  -

result of sane-find-scanner:

  # sane-find-scanner will now attempt to detect your scanner. If the
  # result is different from what you expected, first make sure your
  # scanner is powered up and properly connected to your computer.

found SCSI scanner "KODAK DS Scanner 2500 1.52" at /dev/sg3
  # Your SCSI scanner was detected. It may or may not be supported by SANE.
Try
  # scanimage -L and read the backend's manpage.

sane-find-scanner -v
This is sane-find-scanner from sane-backends 1.0.21

checking /dev/sg3... open ok
found SCSI scanner "KODAK DS Scanner 2500 1.52" at /dev/sg3

scanimage -L

scanimage -d KODAK:/dev/sg3
scanimage: open of device KODAK:/dev/sg3 failed: Invalid argument

The test 'scanimage -d test -T' was ok.

Ok, I'm confused. The scanner seems to be recogniszed by SUSE, isn't it? What
should I do now?

I'd love to get this machine work on my system. I tried it as well with the
software VueScan under Linux and Windows, but I did't get it work.

The original Windows driver cds aren't existing any more - otherwise I could
test the scanner with windows. If this scanner is still working, I'd use it in
a Linux network.

Please, give me some hints to get this scanner work! I don't want to trash it!

Kind regards from Austria!

Clemens