[sane-devel] Description file, Epson, and wildcards

Chris Bagwell chris at cnpbagwell.com
Tue Mar 2 14:59:07 UTC 2010

On Mon, Mar 1, 2010 at 11:36 PM, Olaf Meeuwissen
<olaf.meeuwissen at avasys.jp> wrote:

> Chris Bagwell wrote:
>>
>> On Fedora, it seems its a common problem that hal or udev gets the
>> permissions for scsi Epson scanners wrong and users can only scan as
>> root.  They generically fix permissions for scsi "scanner" class but
>> not "processor".  Their work around is to edit entry for specific
>> scanner in the epson2.desc file and a line as follows each time a user
>> reports a problem:
>>
>> :scsi "ESPON" "Exact Model Name Reported" "processor"
>
> The 2010-03-01 git snapshot has
>
>  $  grep :scsi doc/descriptions*/ep*.desc
>  doc/descriptions/epson.desc::scsi "EPSON" "SCANNER GT-7000" "processor"
>  doc/descriptions/epson.desc::scsi "EPSON" "Perfection1200" "processor"
>  doc/descriptions/epson.desc::scsi "EPSON" "Perfection636" "processor"
>  doc/descriptions/epson.desc::scsi "EPSON" "Perfection1200" "processor"
>
> already.  Are you talking about other models?

Yes, they have a patch for "Expression800" in addition.  My assumption
is it would be an issue with any SCSI-only EPSON scanner?  Or is there
a small subset of names all models use?

>> Mostly, the epson2.desc values are driven by epkowa developers from
>> their epkowa.desc.  Would it be possible for epkowa developers to
>> provide a ":scsi" line for all SCSI devices?
>
> Yes.  No promises on a release time line but we could send a diff to the
> list and ask someone with the necessary privileges to commit.

My understanding is that epson2.desc updates are automated based on
epkowa.desc updates.  So if you could send this updated file to list
when its ready, I can submit it.  That would be great!  Its brute
force fix but it will work nicely.

>> A third option is to provide some sort of hard coded/hand written wild
>> card rules that is added to libsane.fdi and  libsane.rules for these
>> special cases.  This is probably the easiest.  It looks like at east
>> Epson and HP could benefit from this.
>>
>> Do people think this is worth addressing?
>
> Anything that makes out of the box scanner device detection and setup so
> you can scan without root privileges is worth addressing.

I'll keep the third option in the back pocket... depending on what
time line becomes for option one we can pull it out.

Chris