[sane-devel] open driver for Epson Perfection V100 Photo?

m. allan noah kitno455 at gmail.com
Wed Mar 24 00:21:38 UTC 2010

2010/3/23 Stéphane Blondon <stephane.blondon at gmail.com>:
> Hello,
>
> I bought an Epson Perfection V100 Photo which works with the epkowa
> driver (with gt-s600).
>
> I don't find a recent mail on the mailing-list talking about writing a
> free driver. So I plan to (try to) develop it to remove the licence
> problem. I never done reverse engineering or wrote driver so the
> failure is clearly possible... :-(
>
> I read the libusb documentation
> (http://libusb.sourceforge.net/doc/index.html) and just start a very
> minimal C code to find the scanner. I have started to read other pages
> on the web too, but I think sane team would have advice about good
> links too. I found the backend-writing.txt page on sane website.

get some traces of the windows driver in action making some small
scans, using this tool:

http://www.pcausa.com/Utilities/UsbSnoop/

Then decode them with another utility (i am partial to spike4.pl,
which google can find :)

At that point, I would investigate the epjitsu sane backend, as it
already supports an epson chipset which may be related to the one in
the V100. I would not attempt to write a converter.

Oh- and make sure you are using a recent sane-backends git snapshot
for your devel, not 1.0.20.

allan