[sane-devel] Epson Perfection 3170 on 64 bit

Kirk Reiser kirk at braille.uwo.ca
Mon May 3 17:30:13 UTC 2010

Hello Ingo: If the usb-scan logs are from a run on your 3170 scanner
then I would like a copy of the log as well please.

I have another question however probably not really addressing you
Ingo but the group in general.  Why are proprietary/binary code
drivers acceptable at all?  Is it because the job of debugging binary
code is to difficult or it's just easier to use it?  I honestly want
to know because it seems odd to me that folks would be happy using
something which isn't open on systems dedicated to openness.  Does the
usb-scan program not give a good enough description of what goes on to
be totally useful for cracking proprietary code?  Also is there open
source usb-scan programs available as well?  It seems obvious to me
this has gone on for a long time so my curiosity might be out of
place, I don't know.

   Kirk

On Sun, 2 May 2010, Ingo M?ller wrote:

> Hi Stephane!
>
> I'm trying to help to make Sane support the Epson Perfection 3170
> scanner. As Allan suggested, it might be similar to the V100 you made
> work. What is your status on this scanner?
>
> Allan and Stephane, you'll get another email in a minute with the
> UsbSnoop logs. Please send me an email if anyone else is interested.
>
> Ingo
>

> Le 02.05.2010 14:00, m. allan noah a ?crit :
>> Ok, log looks very much like the V100, as reported by Stephane Blondon
>> in the last two months. You might check the mailing list archives, and
>> contact him for his status?
>>
>> allan

>>> OK- i will look at the log.

>>> The drop down that says 'image type: 24 bit color'
>>>
>>> allan

>>> --
>>> "The truth is an offense, but not a sin"
>>>

> --

phone: (519) 661-3061