[sane-devel] HP F2280 MFP in Ubuntu Hardy not scanning - SOLVED

R Welch all4bus at 12freeukisp.co.uk
Tue May 11 12:43:54 UTC 2010

I put up this plea for help and had no response but have now solved the
problem (without fully diagnosing it, but never mind that!)

=====
My F2280 was working happily both in printing and scanning until some
time in March.  I suspect a routine Synaptic Update made an unhelpful
change, although I do not use the scanner often enough to be sure of the
timing, but from about that time the scanner function has gone missing.
Printing has not been affected.
=====

The solution was that I had hplip version 2.8.2 installed and the hplip
website says the minimum version for the F2280 is 2.8.6.  I installed
the latest (3.10.2) and all is now well.  Mystery is that I had always
had 2.8.2 installed, even when it was working before, so I suspect
something in a routine Synaptic update had upset it.