[sane-devel] How to handle devices with multiple USB bulk-in endpoints

Reinhold Kainhofer reinhold at kainhofer.com
Mon Nov 1 23:59:16 UTC 2010

Am Montag, 1. November 2010, um 01:03:23 schrieb m. allan noah:
> Yes- what we should probably do is add a new set of
> sanei_usb_{read,write,etc}_extended() functions,  which take the
> endpoint as a argument. Then all of the existing functions could
> become a wrapper around those, which call a helper function to
> determine the 'automatic' endpoint to use.

Here's a first shot at this extension:
http://codereview.appspot.com/2823041/

I added sanei_usb_*_extended functions, whenever an endpoint is used in the
code. If the endpoint argument is -1, then the auto-detected endpoints are
used (first found is taken, all others are ignored, just like things worked so
far).

I'm not sure if we should add an (optional) pointer to (bulk|int|...)-(in|out)
endpoints to the sanei_usb_open function to make it possible to override the
default in/out endpoints...?

What do you think?

With this patch, the magicolor backend works fine for USB-connections (two
bulk-in endpoints, where the second needs to be used)...

Cheers,
Reinhold

PS: Why are the files in sanei/sanei* and include/sane/sanei_*.h not installed
and rather directly linked to by the backends? The problem with this approach
is that any backend outside the sane-backends tree needs to copy those files
over and keep them up to date from sane-backends.