[sane-devel] Detect scan button on ScanSnap S1500 (sane-fujitsu backend)

Wilhelm wilhelm.meier at fh-kl.de
Sat Nov 6 19:18:44 UTC 2010

FYI:

scanbd (scanner button daemon) can be used in such a case:

1) scanbd uses hal dbus-interface to detect new scanners or scanners
that vanished (usb plugoff)

2) scanbd uses dbus to sendout signals if it performs an action (scans
and emails an image e.g). This can be used by desktop-applications.

3) scanbd uses a dbus-interface to expose methods to perform actions
(this too can be used by desktop applications)

4) scanbd interacts nicely with saned: it stops polling the scanner
buttons if the scanner-device must be used by saned.

5) scanbd can poll arbitrary number of scanner

6) flexible configuration

This is a very early release of the piece of software - be warned.

You can get it from:

http://scanbd.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/scanbd/

Comments are very welcome!

Am 05.11.2010 21:52, schrieb Mikael Nordenberg:
> Hi list.
>
> I've tried really hard to find information about how to detect if the
> button on my scanner is pressed.
> I've got a ScanSnap S1500, which is supported by the fujitsu backend,
> and works as expected using for example scanimage.
>
> The scanner itself only has one backlit button titled "scan". If I
> press it, it starts to blink for a couple of seconds and then goes
> back to normal (which is constant lit).
>
> If I type "scanimage --help" I'm presented with numerous sensor
> options, including the following:
>     --scan[=(yes|no)] [no] [hardware]
>         Scan button
>
> Typing "scanimage --scan" results in:
> scanimage: unrecognized option '--scan'
>
> (None of the other sensor options is recognised either.)
>
> I've tried to access the scanner via saned using the network protocol,
> but the scan-option (#83) always responds false, even if I press and
> hold the scan button.
>
> Is this model not supported when detecting buttons, or am I doing
> something completely wrong?
>
> Best regards,
> Mikael
>

> --