[sane-devel] Hello, and HP C3180 drivers

Robert Charlesworth rhcharlesworth at googlemail.com
Wed Nov 10 18:59:14 UTC 2010

Hello all,
I've just joined this mailing list, having used Ubuntu 10.04 for a couple of
months after 'rediscovering' Linux on an Open University course.

I have an old HP C3180 all-in-one Printer Scanner Copier, which no longer
prints, but I still want to retain as a scanner. The SANE database online
lists it as 'unsupported', so having some (mostly high-level) programming
experience I thought I might try to write some drivers for it.
I can't get hold of a reference manual for the chipset used, nor find any
information about drivers for Linux anywhere else online.

First off, does anyone else have any information/code which might help me?
It sounds like an interesting and educational project for me to do on my own
if necessary, but I don't know exactly where to start at the moment. I've
read the page linked on the SANE site (can't remember the author at the
moment) about capturing commands from the datastream when the device is
accessed under Windows, but I don't really know how to go about this or what
software to use.
All I have at the moment is the drivers for Windows XP - they might work
under Windows7, I haven't tried them on that yet.

Can someone tell me how to proceed now please.

BTW  I've done some assembly language programming many years ago, but that
was 6502 stuff on an old BBC Micro, and my knowledge of modern systems at a
low level, and PCs in particular, is limited.

Thanks,
Robert Charlesworth