[sane-devel] Plustek backend with Canon LiDE 30 help with 48bit color

Robert Simmons rsimmons0 at gmail.com
Thu Apr 14 21:44:50 UTC 2011

I am using a Canon CanoScan LiDE 30 along with the backend package
1.0.21.  This contains the most recent plustek backend (as does
1.0.22), so I'm using plustek version 0.52-3.  I am also running
Kubuntu 10.10 and KDE 4.6.2.  The scanning frontends I'm using are the
CLI scanimage that comes with the 1.0.21 backend bundle and Skanlite
0.4 (a KDE front end).

Most everything works exactly as expected except for one thing, and
the backend support for this exact scanner is listed as "Complete" on
both the backend's page (http://www.gjaeger.de/scanner/plustek/) and
on the main sane scanner compatibility page
(http://www.sane-project.org/sane-mfgs.html#Z-CANON):
"CanoScan N1240U/LiDE3, USB, 0x04a9/0x220e, Complete, plustek (0.52),
sane-plustek"

The one thing I can't do is get it to scan at 24 or 48 bit color.  The
max in both scanimage and Skanlite is 16bit color.  The output of
$scanimage --help --device plustek:libusb:003:002
is "--depth 8|16bit [8]"

The scanner specs state that 24 and 48 bit color are both possible.
It is stated on Canon's website here:
http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/support/consumer/scanners/canoscan_series/canoscan_lide_30?selectedName=Specifications

So, either I'm missing something (most likely), or the backend support
for this scanner is actually "Good" not "Complete."

Thanks,
Rob

TL;DR: I need to get 48bit color working with plustek backend and a
CanoScan LiDE 30.