[sane-devel] xsane - DOES NOT save file preference on exit

m. allan noah kitno455 at gmail.com
Thu Dec 8 13:24:25 UTC 2011

On Thu, Dec 8, 2011 at 4:34 AM, Julien BLACHE <jb at jblache.org> wrote:
> "m. allan noah" <kitno455 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hi Allan,
>
>> Since I am the author of the sane-fujitsu backend, I feel compelled to
>> respond. Unfortunately, I don't have a solution :( Make sure you are
>> running the latest version of XSANE. Try erasing the preferences file
>> entirely.
>
> It could have to do with the way XSane restores settings and options
> management in the backend. It's basically one gigantic loop that sets an
> option then reloads the option descriptors, rinse, repeat.
>
> If the backend changes the resolution in reaction to another setting
> being modified, it's entirely possible XSane doesn't set it back. It's
> been a while since I last looked into this, but that's my recollection.
>
> Pretty much the only explanation I can see for what Joseph is seeing.

The fujitsu backend does setup the option descriptors at the time they
are accessed, and later uses them to correct the values set by the
front end. If XSANE sets the values before it has requested the
descriptions, that would be a problem. It would also be unusual.

There is also some logic in the fujitsu backend which attempts to keep
the y resolution equal to the x resolution. XSANE seems to counteract
this. The current development version removes the y-resolution option
entirely.

allan