[sane-devel] 16 bits / color scanning

Kåre Särs kare.sars at iki.fi
Wed Dec 14 08:17:38 UTC 2011

Hi,

While testing the 16 bit features of Skanlite I noticed a problem with
endianness. If I scan directly with epson2 on a x86 I get one byte order, but
if I do a network scan through saned+epson2 running on a PowerPC I get the
other order....

Is there a workaround for this?

Ideally I would say that the standard should define the byte order independent
of architecture, but that is wishful thinking ;)

Talking of the standard: My opinion, as a frontend developer, is that sane
should go forward with new features like new frame types and return codes.
Even new functions if needed, as long as the old functions are not effected. I
don't think it is necessary to bump the SO version those types of changes. It
might break some frontends, but that can be fixed. The assumption should be
that the frontends handle unexpected return values. Is there anybody here that
disagrees with that?

I can volunteer to fix at least a couple of opensource frontends if needed ;)

/Kåre