[sane-devel] How to get infrared image data with sane on an epson v700 scanner?

Olaf Meeuwissen olaf.meeuwissen at avasys.jp
Tue Feb 1 03:37:41 UTC 2011

Alain Culos <sane-devel at asoundmove.net> writes:

> Thanks Olaf,
>
> Please help me out a little more on general stuff.
> I never hacked into these parts.
>
> My system is Ubuntu.
> I downloaded the standard Ubuntu 10.04 source for sane-frontends and
> sane-backends which gives me:
> ./sane-backends-1.0.20/
> ./sane-frontends-1.0.14/
>
> First I understand that I need to configure and compile the frontend
> with SANE_FRAME_IR defined. Is this correct, or should I only touch
> the backend or both?
> [snip]

You don't need to do anything for sane-frontends.  It has *no* support
for infrared, period.  For sane-backends, you need a newer version of
the code[1], sane-backends-1.0.20 does not have the infrared support
yet.  It was added in sane-backends-1.0.21.

  [1] http://sane.alioth.debian.org/source.html

After extracting the archive,

  cd sane-backends-1.0.21/
  ./configure CPPFLAGS=-DSANE_FRAME_IR
  make
  sudo make install

should put an IR enabled epson2 backend and scanimage frontend below
/usr/local/.  If you do this, it is recommended to remove the Ubuntu
libsane package to avoid confusion.

After that

  scanimage -d epson2 -h

should be able to tell you what the relevant command-line option is.

Hope this helps,
                 http://www.fsf.org/jf?referrer=1962