[sane-devel] how to use xsane to share scanner ?

Yves Jeanrenaud yves.jeanrenaud at gmail.com
Fri Feb 11 15:18:57 UTC 2011

Dear powfry

1. you need to enable saned on your LAN:
/etc/sane.d/saned.conf

# saned.conf
#
# The contents of the saned.conf  file  is  a  list  of  host  names,  IP
# addresses or IP subnets (CIDR notation) that are permitted to use local
# SANE devices. IPv6 addresses must be enclosed in brackets,  and  should
# always  be specified in their compressed form.
#
# The hostname matching is not case-sensitive.
#
#scan-client.somedomain.firm
#192.168.0.1
#192.168.0.1/29
#[2001:7a8:185e::42:12]
#[2001:7a8:185e::42:12]/64
#
# NOTE: /etc/inetd.conf (or /etc/xinetd.conf) and
# /etc/services must also be properly configured to start
# the saned daemon as documented in saned(8), services(4)
# and inetd.conf(4) (or xinetd.conf(5)).
#localhost
#127.0.0.1
192.168.1.0/24

2. make sure, /etc/sane.d/dll.conf contains the net frontent:
net

3. net-frontend need to attach to the host, e.g.:
/etc/sane.d/net.conf:
# This is the net backend config file.

## net backend options
# Timeout for the initial connection to saned. This will prevent the backend
# from blocking for several minutes trying to connect to an unresponsive
# saned host (network outage, host down, ...). Value in seconds.
connect_timeout = 60

## saned hosts
# Each line names a host to attach to.
# If you list "localhost" then your backends can be accessed either
# directly or through the net backend.  Going through the net backend
# may be necessary to access devices that need special privileges.
localhost

4. open the sane-port (TCP 6566) on firewall

this is it.

regards

Yves