[sane-devel] Test report of HP ScanJet G2410 (genesys)

Adrian Glaubitz glaubitz at physik.fu-berlin.de
Sun Jan 16 14:21:24 UTC 2011

Hi,

I have come across an "HP ScanJet G2410" scanner (03f0:0a01) at work
which I have connected to my Debian Squeeze box to scan some pages (I
was tired of having to scan under Windows where the scanner usually is
connected at my work place).

Anyway, since this scanner is not yet fully supported by SANE, I have
decided to test as much as possible and report the results since the
SANE backend listing at [1] still lists the scanner as "Untested".

Basically, the scanner works perfectly when scanning lineart or
greyscale which is I what I need most of the time to scan
documents. However, only scans with 300 dpi work fine, all other
resolutions either produce scrambled results (50, 100, 600 dpi) or
don't work at all (75, 150, 1200 dpi), error message "Invalid
argument".

I have made several test scans and uploaded the results into a folder
at the university, please find them here [2]. I am also going to place
a reference scan at 300dpi, color with the Windows software since
scanning color images with SANE results in errorneous colors.

Since scanning documents with lineart and greyscale at 300dpi works
flawlessly, the status of this scanner should be changed to "Basic".

Thus:

Resolution	Color Mode	Works?
50		line art	scrambled output
50		grey scale	scrambled ouput
50		color		scrambled output
75		line art	NO, ("Invalid argument")
75		grey scale	NO, ("Invalid argument")
75		color		NO, ("Invalid argument")
100		line art	scrambled output
100		grey scale	scrambled output
100		color		scrambled output
150		line art	NO, ("Invalid argument")
150		grey scale	NO, ("Invalid argument")
150		color		NO, ("Invalid argument")
300		line art	YES, output OK
300		grey scale	YES, output OK
300		color		YES, but wrong colors
600		line art	scrambled output
600		grey scale	scrambled output
600		color		NO, scan takes forever

All scans were made with 8 bit depth. Results were the
same for 16 bit depth.

I wasn't sure which debug information to provide, so I just
paste the verbose of scanimage and sane-find-scanner. If you
need anything else, please let me know.

Adrian

[1] http://www.sane-project.org/sane-mfgs.html
[2] http://www.fys.uio.no/~adriang/scanjet-g2410/

Other debug output:

[glaubitz at sulphur:~]$ sane-find-scanner |grep found\ USB
found USB scanner (vendor=0x03f0 [Hewlett-Packard], product=0x0a01 [hp scanjet scanner], chip=GL646_HP?) at libusb:002:015

[glaubitz at sulphur:~]$ scanimage -vvv | pnmtopng > scanimage_testscan.png
[genesys] WARNING: Your scanner is not fully supported or at least
[genesys]          had only limited testing. Please be careful and
[genesys]          report any failure/success to
[genesys]          sane-devel at lists.alioth.debian.org. Please provide as many
[genesys]          details as possible, e.g. the exact name of your
[genesys]          scanner and what does (not) work.
scanimage: scanning image of size 2549x3510 pixels at 8 bits/pixel
scanimage: acquiring gray frame
scanimage: min/max graylevel value = 0/255
scanimage: read 8946990 bytes in total
Closing device
Calling sane_exit
scanimage: finished