[sane-devel] Epson Stylus SX525WD (0x4b8 0x85e)

Jacob Nevins 0jacobnk.sane at chiark.greenend.org.uk
Tue Jan 25 02:08:47 UTC 2011

Hi,

I've got a device with the same USB PID (0x85E), the Stylus Office
BX525WD, working over USB with SANE with no trouble so far. From looking
at specs on epson.co.uk, this looks like it's probably identical
hardware, just differently marketed and with different software bundled.

I'm using Ubuntu Linux Lucid (10.04). As well as tweaking epson2.conf, I
also had to mess around in /lib/udev/rules.d to ensure the USB device
had the correct permissions; without this, I could only access the
scanner as root. There is a long list of PIDs derived from SANE in
40-libsane.rules; I added a similar file alongside with just the PID of
my scanner. After unplugging and replugging it, permissions problems
were solved.

More details of my experience with this device are at
<http://alioth.debian.org/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=312939&group_id=30186&atid=410366>

Hope this is of some help to you.

Cheers,
  Jacob