[sane-devel] Troubles with PIXMA MX870 and USB

Stephan Ritscher stephan.ritscher at gmail.com
Mon Jan 31 11:08:43 UTC 2011

Hi folks,

I just got a new Canon Pixma MX870, but it doesn't work completely, yet.

Let me start with my setup. I run Gentoo with kernel 2.6.36-gentoo-r5 on
an Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU T9300. I use the latest sane-backends from
GIT and sane-frontends-1.0.14.

I want to run the scanner in two different configurations - via wireless
network and via usb. I'll start with the wireless setup.

First of all, it recognizes my printer - kind of. My router (EasyBox
803) resolves all ip addresses in the local network as "localhost" and
thereby confuses SANE.

    # /usr/libexec/cups/backend/bjnp
    network bjnp://localhost:8611 "Canon MX870 series" "Canon MX870
    series localhost"
    "MFG:Canon;CMD:BJL,BJRaster3,BSCCe,NCCe,IVEC,IVECPLI;SOJ:TXT01,BJNP2;MDL:MX870
    series;CLS:PRINTER;DES:Canon MX870
    series;VER:1.030;STA:10;FSI:04;HRI:EU;MSI:DAT,E3,HFSF;PDR:4;"

If I add the line "bjnp://192.168.2.101:8612" to /etc/sane.d/pixma.conf,
scanimage and other applications recognize my scanner and work properly.
I attached the log file corresponding to

    # export SANE_DEBUG_PIXMA=3
    # scanimage -T 2> scan-net.log

ADF is working, too, but I didn't get "ADF Duplex" running (Xsane scans
one page and then stops - is this supposed to work, anyways?).

Now trying USB cable, I removed the extra line from
/etc/sane.d/pixma.conf. After attaching the USB cable, I get

    # dmesg -c
    usb 2-2.1: new high speed USB device using ehci_hcd and address 8
    usblp0: USB Bidirectional printer dev 8 if 1 alt 0 proto 2 vid
    0x04A9 pid 0x1743
    scsi7 : usb-storage 2-2.1:1.2
    usblp1: USB Bidirectional printer dev 8 if 3 alt 0 proto 2 vid
    0x04A9 pid 0x1743
    scsi 7:0:0:0: Direct-Access     Canon    MX870 series     0103 PQ: 0
    ANSI: 2
    sd 7:0:0:0: Attached scsi generic sg2 type 0
    sd 7:0:0:0: [sdb] Attached SCSI removable disk

I also attached the gzipped output of

    # lsusb -v > lsusb.log

Now I ran

    # scanimage -T 2> scan-usb.log

The scanner makes some noises, but the command returns immediately.
Xsane fails with "Error during read: Error during device I/O".

In some forum I read that unloading ehci_hcd helps. Thus I tried

    # sudo rmmod ehci_hcd
    # scanimage -T 2> scan-usb2.log

The scanner shows "Processing... Please wait momentarily.", but makes no
noises of activity. Since scanimage gets stuck, I terminated it with
kill -9. The "Processing..." message only disappears on unplugging the
USB connection.

Do you have any suggestions?

Best regards
Stephan Ritscher