[sane-devel] unclear error message

Jeremy Dawson jlcaadawson at netspeed.com.au
Fri Jul 8 07:52:10 UTC 2011

On 07/08/2011 05:30 PM, Torfinn Ingolfsen wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Fri, Jul 8, 2011 at 9:23 AM, Jeremy Dawson
> <jlcaadawson at netspeed.com.au>  wrote:
>>
>> I'm not sure where the query should go - please advise.
>>
>> Trying to scan something, xsane give the message
>>
>> Failed to start scanner: Invalid argument
>>
>> Also scanimage>image.pnm
>> give the message
>> scanimage: sane_start: Invalid argument
>>
>> Where do I find the information to determine what is wrong?
>
> Have you read the documentation? see http://www.sane-project.org/docs.html
>
> Please provide more detailed information about your equipment and the
> problem, so that people are able to help you.
>
> HTH

Thanks for the prompt reply:

Thanks for the pointer to the documentation, I've found
http://ljm.home.xs4all.nl/SANE-faq.html#50 which looks most nearly
relevant but not quite.

The equipment is EPSON-Stylus-CX5300 (according to the Printing tool),
but I get
[jeremy at home2006 ~]$ scanimage -L
device `epson2:libusb:003:002' is a Epson CX5400 flatbed scanner

Here is exactly what I did with scanimage:

[jeremy at home2006 ~]$ scanimage >image.pnm
scanimage: sane_start: Invalid argument

[jeremy at home2006 ~]$ scanimage -d epson2:libusb:003:002 >image.pnm
scanimage: sane_start: Invalid argument

In xsane I just started it up and clicked "Scan"

I can't think of any further relevant details but happy to provide them
if I know exactly what further details are required

Thanks,

Jeremy Dawson