[sane-devel] support for Canon MG8150

Louis Lagendijk louis at lagendijk.xs4all.nl
Sat Jun 11 10:10:47 UTC 2011

On Fri, 2011-06-10 at 23:19 +0200, Wandrille Roncé wrote:

> But not on my laptop
>

> [pixma] pixma is compiled with pthread support.
> [pixma] pixma version 0.16.2
> [pixma] sanei_bjnp_find_devices:
> [pixma] wlan0 is IPv4 capable, sending broadcast..
> [pixma] wlan0 is IPv4 capable, sending broadcast..
> [pixma] wlan0 is IPv4 capable, sending broadcast..
> [pixma] wlan0 is IPv4 capable, sending broadcast..
> [pixma] wlan0 is IPv4 capable, sending broadcast..
> [pixma] Found scanner at ip address: 192.168.1.10
> [pixma] Scanner identity string = MFG:Canon;CMD:MultiPass 2.1,IVEC;MDL:MG8100
> series;CLS:IMAGE;DES:Canon MG8100 series;SOJ:BJNP2,BJNPe;
> [pixma] Scanner model = Canon MG8100 series
> [pixma] Found scanner at ip address: 192.168.1.10
> [pixma] Scanner at bjnp://17CDEF000000.local:8612 detected, but it was added
> before, good!
> [pixma] Found scanner at ip address: 192.168.1.10
> [pixma] Scanner at bjnp://17CDEF000000.local:8612 detected, but it was added
> before, good!
> [pixma] Found scanner at ip address: 192.168.1.10
> [pixma] Scanner at bjnp://17CDEF000000.local:8612 detected, but it was added
> before, good!
> [pixma] pixma_find_scanners() found 0 devices
> scanimage: no SANE devices found
>

> This is strange, it is the same linux distribution, with the same "sane-
> backends" compile.
> It found the device, but seems to not add it. Have you an idee ?

What this implies  is that the network code can find the scanner, but
the actual backend does not recognize it. Are you sure that the same
backend is installed? It looks as if you compiled your own version on
the desktop, but not on the laptop?

> If it work on my desktop computer, I can assume that this is not a problem
> from the source code.
> I can scan real image, all worked from the desktop computer.
> So can I add the source code to the git repository to give to all the people a
> compatible driver for the MG8150 and some other ? Do I need some extra
> permissions or can I directly do that ?

If uou have git commit access you could do that I guess. It is probably
better if the current maintainer of the backend (Nicolas, Gernot?) does
that, the changes do not affect any other devices, so I can not see a
reason not commit.

BR, Louis