[sane-devel] Device recognition

Julien BLACHE jb at jblache.org
Fri Jun 24 20:22:03 UTC 2011

Olaf Meeuwissen <olaf.meeuwissen at avasys.jp> wrote:

Hi,

> I just found another use case for that on-line  ID to backend/driver
> mapping I mentioned in my earlier post: tallying device IDs.

Sure, though not everybody has a permanent network connection.

>> Given the shortage of manpower SANE is facing, it's valuable info too.
>
> Indeed.  It gives you an idea of what still needs to be done and what
> will have the most impact.

And, more importantly, what to dump overboard because nobody EVER uses
it anymore.

>> It's true we've got that one already so another wildcard here won't
>> matter much. Oh well. I'll commit the change :)
>
> Thanks!

It's in :)

>>> # Here's me wishing USB had a scanner class ... :-(
>>
>> ISTR it was part of the USB spec at some point.
>
> I seem to remember something close, seeing it in a USB *draft* spec.

Yup, that's it. I also seem to remember some telling UVC would "fit"
both video cameras and scanners.

>>> The more scanners Just Work out-of-the-box the
>>
>> What follows is by no means directed to you personally. Now, ...
>
> I know, but that doesn't mean I don't cringe ;-)

:o)

JB.

--
Julien BLACHE                                   <http://www.jblache.org>