[sane-devel] archiving old documents

Jeremy jeremy at acjlaw.net
Tue Mar 1 15:00:34 UTC 2011

On Tuesday, March 01, 2011, Daniel Glöckner wrote:
> I prefer jpeg 2000 in pdf, but I have yet to find a good tool to
> create these.
>
> For monochrome documents I use 600 dpi with g4 fax compression.
> (Unfortunately my HP ScanJet 8250's ADF is very loud at
> resolutions >300dpi..)
>
> Using jbig2 compression instead might yield smaller files.
> Jbig2enc comes with a python script that creates pdfs.

tic98 gives good compression comparable to DjVu on mixed B/W images/text
(DjVu has slight edge on pure text)
Unfortunately there is no tic98 viewer, so you need to first run untic98 to
decompress to PBM format.

LaTeX can be used to include images of type PDF/PNG/JPEG
Just create a simple text file, e.g. "archive.tex" like below
and run "pdflatex archive.tex" to generate "archive.pdf"

\documentclass[pdftex,11pt,letterpaper]{article}
\usepackage{fullpage}
\usepackage[top=1in,bottom=1in,left=1in,right=1in]{geometry}
\usepackage[final]{pdfpages}
%
\usepackage[colorlinks,hyperindex]{attachfile}
\hypersetup{%
  pdftitle = {My Archive},
  pdfkeywords = {family},
  pdfauthor = {}
  %other metadata if you wish
%
\begin{document}
%\noindent
\includegraphics[width=3in, angle=0]{image1.jpg}
\parbox[t]{3in}{This is a caption about the picture to the left.}
\par %start new paragraph
\includegraphics[width=11in, angle=90]{image2.jpg}
\end{document}