[sane-devel] problem with scsi interface on Epson GT7000 (ubuntu 10.10)

Olaf Meeuwissen olaf.meeuwissen at avasys.jp
Wed Mar 2 00:06:48 UTC 2011

Therese Poitrineau <poitrineau.huthe at wanadoo.fr> writes:

> HI
> My scanner Epson GT7000 was unreacheable by 'simple-scan'.
> It was listed correctly by the command 'lsscsi' as EPSON GT7000, , but no device
> (/dev/sg3 ... or more..) follower on the line.
> Indeed, a /dev/sg8 device existed  , with the rights -rwx-------, owner as root.
> After the command 'sudo chmod 666 /dev/sg8', the program 'simple-scan' found
> it..   but I did not like this (re-do after each boot...)
>
> I think I found the cause: the scsi driver does not send good idVendor nor
> idProduct, but only the names read by lsscsi. I guessed it reading the keys in
> sysfiles.

The cause is in the Ubuntu modifications to the upstream sources.  They
rip out the udev SCSI support, claiming that 70-acl.rules already takes
care of that.  It doesn't, at least not for a few select SCSI scanners.
These scanner do not advertise themselves as a SCSI scanner but as some
kind of processor (mostly).

The SANE *.desc files have support for these special devices insofar
known but the Ubuntu modifications conveniently yanked that :-(( in
debian/patches/ubuntu_udev_noperm.patch.

A quick search through the Ubuntu bug reports on "scsi scanner" shows
that there are more people with the same problem:

  https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/sane-frontends/+bug/378989
  https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/ubuntu-docs/+bug/440150
  https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/sane-frontends/+bug/650474

I've Cc:d the patch's author and will be filing a bug report to get this
fixed.  It is not a SANE problem.

Hope this helps,
                 http://www.fsf.org/jf?referrer=1962