[sane-devel] problem with scsi interface on Epson GT7000 (ubuntu 10.10)

Martin Pitt martin.pitt at ubuntu.com
Fri Mar 4 09:59:43 UTC 2011

Hello Olaf,

Olaf Meeuwissen [2011-03-03 13:14 +0900]:
> > I [...] will be filing a bug report to get this fixed.  It is not a
> > SANE problem.
>
> Done.  See
>
>   https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/sane-backends/+bug/727696

Thanks for pointing that out! I'll look into this ASAP.

Olaf Meeuwissen [2011-03-02  9:06 +0900]:
> The cause is in the Ubuntu modifications to the upstream sources.  They
> rip out the udev SCSI support, claiming that 70-acl.rules already takes
> care of that.  It doesn't, at least not for a few select SCSI scanners.
> These scanner do not advertise themselves as a SCSI scanner but as some
> kind of processor (mostly).
>
> The SANE *.desc files have support for these special devices insofar
> known but the Ubuntu modifications conveniently yanked that :-(( in
> debian/patches/ubuntu_udev_noperm.patch.
>
> A quick search through the Ubuntu bug reports on "scsi scanner" shows
> that there are more people with the same problem:
>

>   https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/sane-frontends/+bug/378989
>   https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/ubuntu-docs/+bug/440150

Duped these two to #727696.

>   https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/sane-frontends/+bug/650474

This seems to be something else. The reporter says the permissions are

  crw-rw----+ 1 root root 21, 0 2010-09-28 18:59 /dev/sg0

Which already seems correct (the '+' is the automatic ACL). So I
didn't dupe that one.

Thanks!

Martin