[sane-devel] xerox_mfp usb malfunction

Warren Turkal wt at penguintechs.org
Mon Mar 7 23:50:03 UTC 2011

I have a small patch that works around a bug in the xerox_mfp driver.
It is attached.

The bug boils down to the following. The devname generated by the
sanei code is "libusb" instead of "usb". I think that this may stop
the xerox_mfp backend from working on any system using libusb to talk
to a USB scanner. I feel that this workaround patch may represent the
wrong solution, but it does work and illustrate the problem. If it is
a proper solution, feel free to apply under the normal project license
(GPL+Sane exception).

Also, I would like to report that the Samsung SCX-4623FW (usb ids:
0x04e8 0x3440) seems to work as well as sane can. With the attached
patch, this all-in-one printer can be used with the USB as well as the
network connections. Not bad for a <$150 printer.

As an aside, this printer is also supported by generic PCL drivers for
CUPS. This device is the only all-in-one laser printer that I have
found that is fully supported by drivers that are fully open and whose
SANE drivers are maintained by the SANE project. The weird thing is
that Samsung has proprietary drivers for download from their site. I
am not sure why they wouldn't just do some touch ups to the already
open drivers.

Thanks,
wt